Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Cross-cultural challenges

I ponder my own ethnic background with interesting emotions. I have pride, gratitude, and a sense of obligation. God birthed me into my Native American heritage. I am Navajo. God made me Navajo.

As I seek to lead others to engage in cross-cultural missions I need to consider what I am asking them to do. I need to equip them to engage stepping over boundaries--their own boundaries and leap out of their own comfort zone.

I received a link to a short article which informs me how I can help others engage in cross-cultural ministry. Jeff Yourison shares how to open the door to diversity. He gives some simple things to consider or to answer as each person engages in cross-cultural ministries:
  1. Take stock of your current attitudes.
  2. Be aware of your own ethnicity.
  3. How do you act when you are the minority?
  4. What biblical truths help you engage those of a different culture?

He cites two other articles which you can read for further insight. Both articles take the perspective of college campuses however you can apply them to the city or county at large.

God is prompting me to learn more about diversity and reaching out to the lost and the lonely who need God's love and God's people to make them feel and be included in God's forever family. The lost and lonely only need an invitation. Step out of you comfort zone and minister to those around you.

No comments: