Sunday, May 25, 2008

ESPN - After winner DQ'd, rest of field shows gesture of sportsmanship - High School Sports

Photo by Raymond Brown, Flickr
ESPN - After winner DQ'd, rest of field shows gesture of sportsmanship - High School Sports

I'm going to play devils advocate--I wonder how this demonstration is sportsmanlike when a student athlete defies the rules. The sportswriter sides with the student athletes.

But think. Stop and think.

Is this a mere feel good story? Or is there more to it than meets the eye? Or is there nothing to see beyond the drama resolved?

In sports there are times when the best runner(s), the best team, the best athlete does not win. And it also happens when a world-class sprinter is discovered to have cheated and must return medals. I know that Nicole did not cheat. But what about staying within the rules.

I guess the challenge is to see that the student athletes showed who should have won, but if the rules state that she disqualified herself then, the students should be alright with the final result. I do see that the official results will list Nicole as runner-up. And it is a good guesture by the students. But what about how the authorities are portrayed.

The judges did their job. There was a case for disqualification. But I don't see how it was good sportsmanship. I wonder if someone could help me figure this out.

No comments: